You may be able to avoid back pain by improving your physical health and through proper body posture and movement. We are dedicated to educating our patients on safety tips and lifetime health choices. It is important to talk to a doctor before implementing any of your own solutions, especially when it comes to purchasing many of the products that promise to prevent or alleviate your back discomfort.
Tips to Prevent Back Pain according to the American Chiropractic Association:
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight.
- Remain active—under the supervision of your doctor of chiropractic.
- Avoid prolonged inactivity or bed rest.
- Warm up or stretch before exercising or other physical activities, such as gardening
- Maintain proper posture.
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes.
- Sleep on a mattress of medium firmness to minimize any curve in your spine.
- Lift with your knees, keep the object close to your body, and do not twist when lifting.
- Quit smoking. Smoking impairs blood flow, resulting in oxygen and nutrient deprivation to spinal tissues.
- Work with your doctor of chiropractic to ensure that your computer workstation is ergonomically correct.